Friday, October 16, 2009

When I Weave, I Weave.....

Today we (all my boys and I) met with our facilitator Mrs. Linda Johnson. Linda has been trying to understand "voice" in each of us and how we nurture that voice. She shared with us the 4 steps to voice.

1. Put information in. In the mind, heart, soul through reading, viewing, experiencing etc.

2. Talk about it.

3. Write or Draw about it.

4. Share it. In some form

She then had us view a great dvd called Celebrate What's Right With the World. This is a documentary by Dewitt Jones a photographer for National Geographic. What a beautiful film about perspective, faith, wisdom, and life. As we watched we drew in our notebooks and wrote words that stood out to us. Then we gathered again and discussed our thoughts and feelings about the film. I was thrilled to hear what my boys had to say. They each took something different from the film and made it a part of them.

The part that I took to heart was the story of the old woman who weaved. When Dewitt asked her what she thought about while she weaved she said, " I wonder when I am going to run out of thread." This shocked him because she had come across as a very wise woman and he had expected something more profound but as he thought more about that answer he realized just how wise that statement was. She was saying, "When I weave, I weave." She was talking about being present. Not worrying about the future or regreting the past just being. Very wise.

And so I will try to weave when I weave, sleep when I sleep, play when I play and work when I work. What a great learning activity. Thanks Linda.

Karina

No comments: